Buffett’s own managed fund, Berkshire Hathaway, outperformed both the money managers and the market index. Read On…
Investment U Advisory Panelist
Dr. Mark Skousen is a professional economist, financial advisor, university professor and author of more than 20 books. Dr. Skousen has taught economics and finance at Columbia Business School, Barnard College at Columbia University and Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida. In April 2005, Grantham University honored Dr. Skousen by renaming its School of Business "The Mark Skousen School of Business." (Read the press release from Grantham University.) In 2001-02, he was president of the Foundation of Economic Education (FEE) in New York.
From 1972-75, Dr. Skousen was an economic analyst for the CIA. Since then, he has been a consultant to IBM, Hutchinson Technology, and other Fortune 500 companies. He has been a columnist for Forbes magazine (1997-01), and has written articles for The Wall Street Journal, Liberty, Reason, and The Journal of Economic Perspectives. He has appeared on ABC News, CNBC Power Lunch, CNN, Fox News, and C-SPAN Book TV.
Since 1980, Dr. Skousen has been editor in chief of Forecasts & Strategies, a popular award-winning investment newsletter published by Eagle Publishing in Washington, D.C. (www.markskousen.com).
He is also editor of his own website, www.mskousen.com, and three trading services, Skousen Hedge Fund Trader; High Income Alert; and Turnaround Trader.
From 2005-2007, Mark was the Chairman of Investment U, one of the largest investment e-letters in the country, with more than 300,000 subscribers. Now, Mark is the editor of his own free e-letter, The Worldly Philosophers, at www.worldlyphilosophers.com.
He earned his Ph.D. in economics and monetary history from George Washington University in 1977. Since then he has written more than 20 books, including The Structure of Production (New York University Press, 1990); Economics on Trial (McGraw Hill, 1991); Puzzles and Paradoxes in Economics (Edward Elgar Publishers, 1997); Economic Logic (Capital Press, 2000); The Making of Modern Economics (M. E. Sharpe, 2001); and The Power of Economic Thinking (Foundation for Economic Education, 2002).
His financial bestsellers include: The Complete Guide to Financial Privacy (Simon & Schuster, 1983); High Finance on a Low Budget (Bantam, 1981), co-authored with his wife Jo Ann; and Scrooge Investing (Little Brown, 1995; McGraw Hill, 1999). His latest book is The Compleated Autobiography by Benjamin Franklin (Regnery Publishing, 2005). Also published in 2005 was Vienna and Chicago, Friends or Foes? (Capitol Press, 2005); and in 2006, M. E. Sharpe will publish The Big Three in Economics. See Mark Skousen's Recommended Books.
Dr. Skousen also served as editor of the investment series, "Secrets of the Great Investors," with Louis Rukeyser as narrator.
Mark is the founder of FreedomFest, an annual gathering of the freedom movement from around the world, held every May in Las Vegas (www.freedomfest.com).
Dr. Skousen has lived in eight nations, and has traveled and lectured throughout the United States and in 70 countries. He grew up in Portland, OR. He and his wife, Jo Ann, and their five children have lived in Washington, D.C.; Nassau, the Bahamas; London, England; Orlando, FL; and New York.
Read Investment U's interview with Dr. Mark Skousen, past Chairman and current Advisory Panelist for Investment U.
You can view previous articles by Mark Skousen below, or explore the Investment U archives.
- Don’t Believe the Bears
- From the Mailbag: Profiting From Government's Attacks on Business
- Is Your Name on the List?
- In Defense of Gold... and “Gold Bugs”
- When Stocks Tank
- Why Dr. Skousen is Still Bullish on Stocks
- Is it Really Possible to Make Millions in Real Estate Without Paying Taxes?
- Romney’s Revenge: How to Make Millions in Private Equity
- The ObamaCare Tax Hike on Investors
- Why I Burned My Social Security Card
- Who Will Win in November? Economists Make Shocking Prediction
- Robert Kiyosaki Shocks Investors At FreedomFest
- The JOBS Act: Opening the Door to Private Placement Investing
- Mark Skousen’s Investment Conference Round-Up
- How Keynes Changed His Investment Philosophy and Died Wealthy
- Why the Bears Were Wrong: It's Not the End of America
- The Greatest Contrarian Play of 2012
- Microsoft vs. Apple: 2012 and Beyond
- Three Investment Lessons I've Learned From Warren Buffett
- How to Take the "Sting" Out of Investing
- Why Gold Mining Stocks Are About to Skyrocket...
- Are We Entering the Great Stagnation?
- Two Shocking Predictions From the Exclusive Milken Conference
- The Man Who Outperformed Warren Buffett
- Three Things I Learned From Billionaire Ken Fisher